The Mather Homestead property originally consisted of 100 acres, which is what it take for a family to sustain itself. The working farm included vegetables, flax and wheat and farm animals providing milk, eggs and meat.
By 1906, when Stephen Tyng Mather became the sole owner of the Homestead, the property consisted of 22 acres. Stephen, his wife Jane, and their baby daughter, Bertha, first occupied the house in the summer of 1907. In addition to making changes to the house, they added a sunken garden, which still exists today. Thanks to the efforts of Mather Homestead volunteers, the gardens have been restored and beautified. Please email us if you would like to help us with our gardens.
In 2020, a new barn-like structure, the "Elizabeth W. Chilton Education Center," was added to the property. The Mather Homestead Foundation is grateful to the Darien Garden Club, who generously contributed foundation plantings to the barn and continues to care for the plants.
The Garden Club selected plantings for the barn that are native to the area, with considerations of sunlight, deer and other elements. Plants include Ilex, Viburnum, Spirea, and more. LIST OF PLANTS
Sunken Garden early 20th century
Sunken Garden today
New "Elizabeth W. Chilton Education Center" with plantings donated, planted and maintained by the Darien Garden Club