ABOUT THE MATHER HOMESTEAD
Bertha Mather McPherson (1906-1993)
Bertha Mather McPherson was the only child of Stephen and Jane Mather. She owned the Homestead from 1930, following her father's death, until her death in 1993.
The Mather Homestead property originally consisted of 100 acres in 1778, which is what it took for a family to sustain itself. By 1906, when Stephen Tyng Mather acquired the property, it consisted of 22 acres. Stephen Mather hired Walter Burley Griffin, a renowned architect and landscape architect to create the sunken garden at the Homestead.
Elizabeth W. Chilton Education Center
The Elizabeth W. Chilton Education Center was completed in 2020 in order to provide a space for public education and enjoyment at the Mather Homestead thanks to the generosity of the Chilton family and many other donors.