Bringing History to Life!
In addition to our kids and family events which happen throughout the year, including Fall Harvest Festival, Night at the Museum, Book Club with Samantha and more, we offer custom programs for group visits. Home School groups, Pre School Field Trips, Play Groups, Scout troops etc. - we will customize to the ages of your group, season, interests, etc.
"Escape the Tories"
The Mather Homestead during Revolutionary Times
Kids will learn about the Revolutionary War, a time when Tories came across the Long Island Sound to raid homes in Darien, then Middlesex Parish.
- Tour of the 1778 home where Sarah Mather hid valuables during the Revolutionary War.
- Scavenger Hunt or "Escape the Tories" (depending on age).
The Sustainable/Homesteading lifestyle during Colonial Times
Kids will learn about how people lived back in Colonial Times when Joseph and Sarah Mather built the Mather Homestead (1778) on 100 acres of farmland.
- Visit to the Mather "keeping room" where Sarah Mather toiled for her 11 children.
- Interactive presentation with workbook in the barn.
- Homesteading stations: candle making, embroidery, butter making.
- Dress up in the playhouse and Colonial games.
"Become a Junior Ranger"
The National Parks & Stephen Mather
Kids will learn about the National Parks and Stephen Mather's important role in creating the National Park Service and the system of 63 parks that we enjoy today. They will earn a "Stephen Mather Junior Ranger Badge".
- Interactive presentation about the National Parks with workbook
- Fun games
- Walk through Mather Meadows
- Craft, e.g., leaf painting
Kids will drink tea, nibble on scones and other goodies, and learn about etiquette, e.g., what to do with that pinkie finger! After tea, we'll do a craft and, play tea party games and read "How to Behave at a Tea Party". Tea party in the garden, weather permitting, or in the barn.
All programs are $20/child, up to 20 children per visit.
1 1/2 hours. Mutually agreeable time.
Please contact Cristi Mohr at firstname.lastname@example.org to plan a group visit.