KIDS AT MATHER
Tours of the house are customized for kids to be interactive and fun. Learn about Revolutionary War History and Stephen Mather, the first Director of the National Park Service. By appointment.
Escape the Tories
Take a tour of the house and then test your knowledge to see if you can escape the Tories and find the silver! Games, puzzles and fun. By appointment.
Become a Junior Docent!
After you've toured the house, perhaps you'd like to become a junior docent and lead others through the house! We will provide you with tour materials and you invite your family/friends to tour.
Become a Stephen Mather Junior Ranger
Kids will learn about the National Parks and Stephen Mather's important role in creating the National Park Service and the system of 61 parks that we enjoy today. Contact us to organize a group!
- Mar 25, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PMMH Barn, 19 Stephen Mather Rd, Darien, CT 06820, USAJoin Samantha Gault for a discussion of the first book in Aaron Johnson's National Park Mystery Series: "Mystery in Rocky Mountain National Park." Please buy local! Barrett has copies. Audio version available if your family would like to listen together! Recommended for ages 8 to 12.
- Apr 21, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PMDarien, 19 Stephen Mather Rd, Darien, CT 06820, USAJoin us for family fun at the Homestead. Games geared towards ages 8 to 13 (+ parents) include national parks bingo & trivia and MORE national parks fun ... and finally "Ghosts at the Homestead (a.k.a., the graveyard) to end the night! Snacks and beverages (kid and adult options).
- May 21, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PMMH Elizabeth W. Chilton Education Center, 19 Stephen Mather Rd, Darien, CT 06820, USALearn about our National Parks System, consisting of 63 National Parks, and Stephen Tyng Mather, the first director of the National Park Service. Each participant will receive a Stephen Mather badge. Recommended for 3rd to 6th grade. $10 members/$20 non members
- Multiple DatesJun 26, 9:00 AM – Jul 28, 1:00 PMThe Mather Homestead, 19 Stephen Mather Rd, Darien, CT 06820, USAThe Pink Rhubarb returns to the Mather Homestead with summer workshops for kids in cooking, gardening and craft. Your children will relax, learn, and explore both in the kitchen and the garden.
- Oct 21, 11:00 AM – 2:00 PMThe Mather Homestead, 19 Stephen Mather Rd, Darien, CT 06820, USAThe Fall Harvest Festival is in its fifth year! Join us for hay rides, petting zoo, face painting, pumpkin decorating, crafts, games, cider & donuts, live music & more! Geared towards ages 3 to 12, but all are welcome! Tickets - members: $10 adult/$5 child, non-members: $20 adult/$10 child.
- Oct 27, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PMDarien, 19 Stephen Mather Rd, Darien, CT 06820, USANight at the Museum returns! Recommended for ages 8 to 13. Limited to 25 kids.
- Nov 01, 9:00 AM – Dec 04, 9:00 PMwww.matherhomestead.org/essay-contestOur second annual essay contest is open to middle schoolers (grades 6 to 8). We will launch the contest on November 1st with essays due Monday, December 4th by 9 pm. Winners will be announced on Friday, December 15th. Stay tuned for essay topic! Please "RSVP" to let us know you intend to submit!